Friday 9 May 2014

An Open Letter to my Mother

Dear Mom (and Dad too)

'See the Beauty' by Jan Lang
On this Mothers day, I would like you to reflect on your accomplishments and achievements in the form of your children. Specifically me, your fifth child, and what it means to have been raised by you.

You made me and kept me safe till birth, cutting out anything from your own diet that could affect me or hurt me in any way. You ate food not for yourself but to nourish the baby growing inside you, and then the time came when you cut the umbilical cord, to let me learn to breathe and eat and nourish myself.

You carried me when I was little, cradling me from the dangers of the world and keeping me from bumping my head. You pushed me in a pram and carried me in a carrycot. But then the time came when you cut me loose, let go of my hands so that I could learn to walk, run and ride a bike on my own.
 
Artist: Mary Cassatt

You fended for me, bought me clothes and shoes and toys. You saved your money, not for your own pleasures and desires, but to buy me those little black ballet shoes I so desperately wanted. You used your money to put a roof over my head, buy soap to keep me clean, take me to the doctor, and pay for the everyday things that were needed while I was growing up. But then the time came when you cut me off financially when I needed to learn to fend for myself and make my own way in the world. You encouraged me to move away from home to find my own place, and build my own future.

You raised me to be strong and independent and you raised me to grow into a self-sufficient adult. I have been raised – something which is past tense, but which is imprinted in me for all the rest of my days. You were a good mother, doing your best and thinking of me always, and I will live those effects of your careful mothering forever.
 
'The Cradle' by Berthe Morisot

You nurtured and nourished me when it was the time to do so. You grew me and taught me. You did what you felt was right to imprint your views and beliefs and ways on me, and what has stuck has stuck and what hasn't hasn't. But despite the things that haven't stuck, (like the fact that I still can’t spell very well, and don’t ever make my bed with enthusiasm) I have been given so many great things by you and Dad that I am proud of and so should you be:

A good brain, a tall strong frame, a lovely hair colour. Appreciation of all music, love of cats and of classical music, of the piano, love of English culture, love of English literature. A relationship with the best grandmother a girl could ever have hoped for. The love of all animals, love of words, stories, ballet, love of children, love of humour. Love of bagpipes (sorry Dad). Wonderful individual relationships with my siblings. Love of my family. Love of learning. Faith. Ability to cope through hard times. Belief in being and doing good, and not behaving like an animal. Care of others. Consideration of others feelings and appreciation for others differences. Ability to change my position when proven wrong. Ability to face my own faults. Good manners. Not swearing (well, not the worst words, at least). Sharing and being helpful. Being a lady. Treating strangers kindly. Being brave. Belief in God. Liking to dress nicely and be clean and well groomed and present my best self to the world. Love of the William books! Enjoying learning new things. Nesting. Home making and future making. Having the highest love and respect for my husband (and the ability to find one who deserves that respect all by myself!) The ability to come back from a fight and to forgive and to say sorry. The inner drive to do everything to the best of my own ability. The need to work and create and build constantly. Ability to change, to move forward, to adapt. Ability to eat anything I'm given, at least once! You have raised me, giving me your best, and I am thankful for it. You have been the biggest part of making me the adult I have become.



The time came to cut me off. You no longer needed to raise me, grow me, fend for me – but I will never forget all you have done. You are a strong and wonderful mother for always knowing when it was time to cut the bonds so that I could walk up tall and free in my own life. You gave me everything I needed and I hope that you now see what a wonderful job you did.

Thank you for teaching me to cope when you had to cut me loose, training me my whole life to give me the strength and guts to go forward into the unknown. When you had to let go of my hands, let go of my nutrition, let go of my learning, let go of my finances. Of my beliefs. Of my ambitions. Of my future. Thank you for always pushing me forward, the little bird in the nest, who may otherwise never have learned to fly.

Thank you for being the best Mom.

I love you and only hope to be able to imitate you one day with my own little bird.

Happy Mother’s Day.


2 comments:

  1. I never really had a role model in journalism or writing as a whole, but I think that has to change, I just found one, not only a role model but inspiration as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - what a lovely comment. I hope you continue to be inspired :)

      Delete