Sunday 29 May 2011

Honeymoon part 3


Husband and I recently went to Thailand on honeymoon. I was warned of the humidity and its effects on hair before we went, and thought I would prepare myself with a nice (insert salon product name here) treatment and a big bottle of (insert salon product name here) conditioner. The words people used while giving me heed, went something like 'fly-away', 'frizzy' and 'unmanageable'.



But what I experienced was something else all together! It was as if each strand of lovely freshly highlighted hair became solidified into thick and heavy clumps. Some new form of rope-like Tarzan-swinging root!

And to make matters worse, my beautiful, pre-wedding-prepped blonde crowning glory (says she with her mothers words "Pride comes before a fall" ringing in her ears) took each and every water molecule the island offered, and SUCKED it in, with full-henna-effect! Basically, the sediment in the water died my hair red. Not even red, more like muddish ginger to be precise. Lets face it - somewhat less attractive, right?


Each day was a battle in the mirror. I would huff and puff, trying to persuade a comb through, and then give up and say to Husband whimsically: "Remember the days, you know, before we were married, when I was blonde and could brush my hair? Ah, those were the days..." and then I would laugh in an attempt to not cry. Husband, being of the 'less is more' variety when it comes to hair, did not have any of these problems, and being a man, tended not to understand.

So as my Rapunzel locks transformed themselves into one singular gingen dread-lock, I adapted an attitude of 'Conditioner is for Sissies' in self preservation. And I also vowed to write strongly worded letters to ALL those salon product companies that make promises of perfectness, and suggest that they should really add a 'Not Applicable in Thailand' clause.

I tell you I have never been more happy to get home to Cape Town, where a respectable amount of moisture floats through our atmosphere, and where I am once again strawberry-blonde and manageable. Well, my hair is, at any rate.

...Though I am thinking of dying my hair red for the winter...

Because I'm worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment