Thursday 26 May 2011

HoneyMonsoon

Honeymoon for me was a bit of a seasonal surprise. Like buying a Hello Kitty lucky packet, and, 'SURPRISE!' getting a G.I.Joe action figure inside. Husband had booked a trip to Thailand specifically in the DRY season, as we both agreed that honeymoons should be spent far far away, lost on a beach, cocktails in the sun, with as little clothing as possible.

Unfortunately, we were met by an "Uncharacteristic low pressure bubble for this time of year", according to the Sky News weather man. In other words, a full on monsoon!

The rain lashed, the rain poured. Not cats and dogs like it does back home, but Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh My!*

It rained and rained and rained and rained and RAINED. First for hours, then days! Then, just before a whole week had splished past, it had the decency to stop. And just in time too! After the floods, mud slides and electricity cuts, I was about to need my umbrella while sitting on the bed in our room reading. Clearly the thatched roof in our adorable little island style bungalow had absorbed about all the thai precipitation it could handle, and Husband and I were being sprinkled on in our sleep. A holy experience? I think not.

We did, however, thank our lucky Buddha (as one does when one is in that side of the world and one is surrounded by the gods of their particular thai persuasion) that the rain stopped and Husband and I could get back to our honeymoon, far far away, lost on a beach, cocktails in the sun, with as little clothing as possible.






*The Wizard of Oz (1939)

1 comment: