Monday 5 August 2013

A Very Good Vintage: My take on Books and Wine


 As a resident of Cape Town, I have the frequent privilege of visiting the winelands, tasting and appreciating some of South Africa's best wines on offer. After quite a few years of this tongue-bud development, I have come to one simple conclusion: The very best wine is the one that you like. Similarly, the very best books are the ones that you enjoy.

Yes, that is a rather one dimensional statement. Of course there are ingredients and processes that distinguish a quality wine from something cheap and nasty that will give you a spine-curdling headache in 2.3 sips...and there are books that are not 'good for you'. Annoying repetitive text aside, reading excessive amounts of poorly constructed sentences and multiple uses of grotesque slang speech can affect a person long after the book is done. A novel hangover perhaps?

Just look at our generation. Thanx to twitter, Facebook and MTV, some of us are gr8ing, hashtagging, 2 as apposed to to or too'ing (destroying the ability to use the correct one even more) and shrtng words left right and centre! To the point of not being able to send an email without taking the time and effort, it would seem, to write out the full word 'you'. WTF peeps? I mean, rlly!

But I digress. My point here is that when it comes down to tastes, genre's, preferences and where you put your money and your mouth - the best book, or wine, is the one that you like, the one that makes you happy.


I love chick lit. I get a lot of criticism for this, and am looked down upon by the snootier of literary minds, merely because I enjoy a light hearted, up beat book that will end with me feeling a bit happier about life. I don't only read chick lit - sometimes I'm in the mood for mystery, suspense, sometimes I have a glass of Merlot, other times a juicy Shiraz. Sometimes its 'White Oleander' by Janet Fitch, Sometimes 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath, or 'Far From the Madding Crowd' by Thomas Hardy. Sometimes it's Chardonnay Pinot Noir by Haute Cabriere. But chick lit is definitely my go-to genre, my pink champagne, if you will (Krone, the delicious french-style bubbly, of course).

But whether it be JK Rowling or Sophie Kinsella keeping me entertained, I maintain that the very best books for me are the ones that I like.

That is all.

Love, lust and fairy-star-dust
Cherry Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment