Monday 19 August 2013

Family is the Variety of Life



I am one of those blessed individuals who comes from a big family. Scratch that - an enormous family. People who visited our home when I was growing up were known to have said: "You haven't lived till you've had dinner at the Shortridges..." This statement was usually followed with much maniacal laughter, or shuddering, or something or the other that conveyed that something OUT OF THE ORDINARY was just experienced.

I like that about my family.

And even though there has been many a boyfriend who has run after meeting le familie - they were not made of the stuff that would keep me interested for very long anyhow. (Husband, on the other hand is a brave, brave and complex man.)

Being from a big (sorry, enormous) family comes with certain credentials. You grow up learning to share. You grow up learning to be selfish. You grow up learning to fight. You grow up being different and still the same. You grow up defending and protecting your brothers and sisters, while still cutting your own path, viciously, precisely, determinedly and deliberately. You grow up learning to align yourself to the group for the greater good, adding your own expertise to the unspoken 'Kid Code' and thus join forces with us (siblings) versus them (parents). In short, or in 'Shortridge', you grow up learning to be your own person, to stand on your own two feet, and to do it with the love and support of those closest to you in blood, who all the while couldn't be further away in every other aspect. You learn to love and appreciate variety.

There are 6 of us, 8 if you include Mom and Dad. 14 if you include spouses. 25 if you include offspring. And more if you include aunts, uncles and cousins!. Christmas is a noisy, busy and EXPENSIVE affair.


The thing I love most about my family is how different we all are, breaking every mold of 'you are that way because of the parents'. If we were a school yard, we would have the jocks, the cheerleaders, the nerds, the goths, the hipsters, the cool kids, the outcasts, and even the crazy christericals. We are a world in and of ourselves. I can not speak for the rest of the 24  immediates, but I love this melting-pot-spicy-variety-of-life existence that is dinner at the Shortridges.


I think it is why I love people so much. ALL people. When I meet someone new, (Voodoo doll collector; Tea junkie; Ex-door to door salesman; Serial marathoner; Unlikely billionaire; Man-hating door-lady; Poetry-master-come-electrician...) I just want to know them and enjoy them. I LOVE the variety!


Have you heard the joke that goes Mom, Dad, Averil, Paul, Grant, Brian, Laura, Tim, Shannon, Anna, Cat, Bruce, Brandon, Julie, Amber, Adam, Mary, Joshua, Rachel, Alex, Noa, Tannith, David, Morgaine and myself walk into a bar? No? You haven't?

Well, then you are officially invited to the next family dinner.

Love, lust and fairy-star-dust
Cherry Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment